You may already know what dental plaque is and that it is a biofilm of bacteria, food particles, and saliva that cling to your teeth. When you run your tongue over your teeth later in the day, the “fuzzy” feeling you get is due to plaque buildup.
It’s crucial to keep plaque buildup under control with brushing and flossing if you want to avoid gum disease from taking hold. Plaque that sits on your teeth gradually mineralizes into a hard substance called tartar.
Tips to Minimize Tartar Buildup on Your Teeth
Tartar makes it difficult to keep your teeth clean and contains bacteria that can lead to gum disease. The only way to get rid of tartar is by scheduling teeth cleaning in Nederland, TX with a dental hygienist who removes it using specialized instruments. However, you can take steps at home to minimize the plaque buildup that turns into tartar.
- Brush twice a day with a tartar-control, fluoride toothpaste and floss once.
- Invest in an electric toothbrush that can remove plaque more effectively than a toothbrush
- Rinse your mouth daily with an antiseptic mouthwash
- Avoid starchy and sugary foods that attract bacteria and speed plaque buildup
- Drink lots of water to carry away food particles, so they don’t collect on your teeth
- If you smoke, quit; tobacco users are more prone to developing tartar buildup
With just a little extra effort, these are all steps that can easily be incorporated into your daily routine. And they are a small price to pay to help you avoid the damage that gingivitis and gum disease can have on your oral health.
Schedule Your Next Dental Cleaning in Nederland, TX
Dr. Whitney Gomez and the team at Nederland Dental are committed to giving you the tools and information you need to manage your oral health at home. If you are due for a teeth cleaning to remove plaque and tartar buildup, call us to schedule an appointment.