How do I clean my retainer?
Wearing a retainer in your mouth means that it is exposed to the foods and bacteria that your teeth endure. Because most removable retainers are made of acrylic or plastic, they easily absorb smells and flavors.
Here is how to keep your retainer clean:
- Brush it with a soft-bristled toothbrush anytime you brush your teeth.
- If it collects tartar, soak it in plain white vinegar for an hour and then brush away the residue.
- You can use a stain-remover or refreshing soak designed just for retainers.
- Use gentle castile soap to wash away bacteria.
- Mouthwash can refresh your retainer but may also stain your retainer if left to soak for too long.
- Don’t use anything sharp to scratch buildup off of your retainer as it can cause abrasions that collect bacteria and odors.
Taking care of your retainer will increase its life and decrease unpleasant smells and tastes. If you ever notice that your retainer smells even after you clean it, bring it into our Nederland, TX dental office, and we will examine it for damage.