Dr. Whitney Gomez is a dentist in Southeast Texas and he works with his patients to educate them on the best way to perform their home oral health care routines. Even the best routines may include a few common mistakes.
Some of the most common oral health care mistakes:
- Brushing too hard – When you brush your teeth, use the tips of the bristles, which are the part of the toothbrush that actually removes plaque.
- Not spending enough time – You should brush your teeth for a full two minutes, dividing the time equally between each quadrant. Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day!
- Not brushing all areas of your teeth – Be sure to clean all areas of your teeth – front, back, chewing surfaces and the areas near your gums.
- Toothpaste – Dental decay is preventable and fluoride can strengthen your enamel. Using fluoride toothpaste can reduce decay.
- Flossing – Quickly clicking in and out of your teeth is not enough! Use your floss to squeegee the plaque from both sides of your teeth. Be sure to floss at least once a day to keep your gums healthy.
- Don’t rinse! – After you brush your teeth, do not rinse your teeth. It can remove the protective fluoride.
- Don’t share a toothbrush – The bacteria that causes gum disease and decay is actually contagious. Never share a toothbrush.
- Replace your toothbrush – Toothbrushes don’t last forever! Replace yours every 2-3 months to make sure it cleans your teeth properly.
Dental Exams in Southeast Texas
If you are seeking a dentist in the Southeast Texas area, contact Nederland Family Dental and schedule an exam with Dr. Whitney Gomez. We look forward to meeting you and to helping you achieve a healthy smile you feel proud to show off!
We welcome new patients of all ages and will provide you with the individualized dental care you deserve.